Several inhabits faith in U.S and U.K to be loaded countries with cavernous pockets; nonetheless, these are the merely two countries with highest external debt, According to the office of national statistics,04-04-2018, IMF,21-04-2018, U.S owes 98% of its GDP and U.K 313% of its GDP. Even though India may not be obliged for the highest debt as U.K and U.S are, still developing countries won’t obstruct asylums which bring Investments in the country. At this situation, it is warranted after scrutiny of developed nations that even developed countries see for capital compelled refuges from the budding background.
Relying on the law is a costly affair in a matter of lucrative offenders in India till now. However, in the wake of fugitives economic offenders bill 2018, made it clear that confiscation of assets is likely by a special court under the legislation.
To tackle this issue, the said bill has been passed which :
1) It defines fugitive economic offender as an individual who has committed a scheduled offence involving an amount of 100 crore Rupees or more and has fled from India or refused to come back to India to avoid or face criminal prosecution in India ;
2) Attachment of the property of the fugitive economic offender and proceeds of crime;
3) The powers of directors relating to survey, search and seizure and search of persons;
4) Confiscation of the property of a fugitive economic offender and proceeds of crime;
5) Disentitlement of the fugitive economic offender from putting forward or defending any civil claim;
6) Appointment of an administrator for the proposed legislation;
7) Appeal to the high court against the orders issued by the special court;
8) Placing the burden of proof for establishing that an individual is a fugitive economic offender on the Director or the person authorized by the Director.
Passing of bill in the wake of policy abroad?
Looking at the guiding principle which attracts economic offenders around the globe, personal financial matters that rely on the maintenance of banking confidentiality are a vital right of citizens in liberal democracies where bank data is protected by a wide range of laws, both, civil and criminal. Even the U.S. is a country which is in the hunt for the bank related information has a bank secrecy act. The most important laws covering bank secrecy disclose customer information to any party, not within the jurisdiction of a bank as a crime. Moreover, Auditor faces the same criminal penalties for personal bank disclosures, and only permanent residents or citizens are allowed to have an examining power on bank data. Similarly, international business companies that can be created with a bare minimum of procedure in many offshore financial centers, having a variety of legitimate uses to launder money, such as investment in foreign patents, conduct of legal international trade transactions, which is right derivative for holding U.S property, as this doesn’t require secrecy.
The principal subject is to make sure that legitimate uses of these conveniences remain available while making it much more difficult to use them directly for criminal activities or laundering. The proper focus is on legitimate government investigations on demand of external administration or law enforcement agencies in sequence, that will assist in the criminal research. Lucidity is chief in inbound matters and at the same time preparedness to create a burden on extraneous management.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are the personal opinions of the author. Neither Praantech Media nor the RTIwala is responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of RTIwala (or of Praantech) and it does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.