RTIwala Explains: Who is Kailash Satyarthi? Why is he awarded Nobel Peace Prize? Here, we tell you all about his precious achievements acquired in the field of social activism. In this researched article, we explore about activist Kailash Satyarthi, who dealt with the major crisis of ‘child labor’ and ‘child education’, his foundations and some unknown facts about him.
Who is Kailash Satyarthi?
Kailash Satyarthi is an Indian Social Activist, born on 11th January 1954, in the Vidisha district of the Madhya Pradesh. Kailash is at the forefront of the global movement to end child slavery and child exploitation. He dealt with children’s rights and child education foundation Bachpan Bachao Andolan, the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation, Global March against Child Labor, and Good Weave International.
Also Read: What is the story behind World Hindi Day?
Satyarthi had a zeal of working for innocent poor children that he left his lucrative career in Electrical Engineering. He has led ‘Global March Against Child Labor’ which did the rescue of over 80,000 child slaves and developed a successful model for their education and rehabilitation. Satyarthi lives in New Delhi with his family which includes his wife, son, and daughter-in-law, grandchildren, daughter and son-in-law.
How Kailash Satyarthi turned impossible into possible?
Kailash is an innovative thinker and his effort to work towards children’s rights was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi’s leadership in the Indian Independence Movement. After completing his engineering he started teaching in the nearby areas of his village, Vidisha but left that and became secretary general for the Bonded Labor Liberation Front.
Some Riveting Facts about Kailash Satyarthi:
- Kailash Satyarthi changed his surname from ‘Sharma’ to ‘Satyarthi’ meaning “seeker of truth”, in order to ‘outcast the entire caste system’, that persists in a country like India.
- He was listed in the ‘Fortune Magazines’ as the ‘World’s Greatest Leaders’ in the year 2015 and also became popular across “LinkedIn Power Profiles List” in 2017.
- He founded the ‘Bachpan Bachao Andolan’ that works for children education and making them slave-free.
- Satyarthi founded ‘Good Weave International’ foundation in 1994, which is an NGO working towards ending of the illegal child labor in the rug-making industry. It provides a certification program that allows companies that pass inspection to attach a logo certifying that their product is made without child labor.
- He has been a member of a UNESCO body with an aim of providing “Education for All”. Recently he has been rewarded by Dainik Prayukti as the ‘Personality of the Decade’.
- Satyarthi has served in and as board member of several international organizations such as the Center for Victims of Torture (USA), the International Labor Rights Fund (USA), and the International Cocoa Foundation.
- He received his Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 because of his work recognition by a variety of national and international honors. This award is also shared by Malala Yousafzai from Pakistan.
In 2017 by India Times, he has been listed as one of the 11 Human Rights Activists whose life mission is to provide others with a dignified life.
Not many are aware of Kailash’s hobby, he is indeed very intelligent at cooking.